Our experience of working with thousands of companies across the UK indicates that year-on-year savings of 20% to 30% can be delivered through action on energy efficiency. We'd encourage smaller companies to apply to make the most of the fund on offer in order to realise significant savings on their bottom line.Hugh Jones, Managing Director, Advisory, at the Carbon Trust
Energy efficient equipment grant and advice programme helping SMEs struggling with energy costs
The Carbon Trust is launching a new fund providing vital capital for smaller businesses to replace old, power-guzzling equipment, together with expert advice to boost the efficiency and productivity of businesses in England, Scotland and Wales.
The £7m fund has been made available to SMEs on a first come-first served basis, and will offer energy saving training, cost saving assessments, implementation advice, and capital support for the installation of energy efficiency equipment. Eligible companies can apply for a capital contribution to cover up to 15% of an energy efficiency project or equipment replacement cost, up to a maximum of £10,000.
The fund can also be used to purchase a range of equipment, including energy efficient lighting, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) and energy efficiency controls vital equipment across a range of business sectors, including manufacturing, retail, and hospitality.
The scheme is expected to support 1000 to 2000 smaller businesses across England, Scotland and Wales. It is expected to enable participating businesses to invest £55m in energy saving projects which would deliver them lifetime energy savings of almost £130m. The programme will focus on high quality implementation to ensure the best energy efficiency opportunities are fully realised. Click here for further information and to apply.
To help businesses to understand how the Green Business Fund can help them, the Carbon Trust is hosting a series of Green Business Fund workshops. Further information can be found here.
Carbon Trust Green Business Fund SME workshops
Workshops for small and medium sized businesses in England to learn more about the Green Business Fund, and how to identify opportunities to reduce energy costs
The Green Business Fund is providing funded two hour workshops for SMEs to learn how to make the most of the programme, and how to identify opportunities to reduce energy costs.
- Understanding and reducing energy bills through behavioural and low cost measures
- Introduction to carbon, energy and self-assessment
- How to develop new approaches to energy use in the office that will drive long term change
- Key quick wins for carbon reduction
- Focus on major areas of energy consumption in SMEs (lighting, equipment, HVAC, travel)
- Technical overview of the key areas of consumption
- Outline of key energy reduction retrofit technologies
- Access to funding and free one-to-one site audits
- Participants will be able to access additional support and a capital contribution of up to £10,000 towards the cost of projects that comply with the requirements of the fund