Licence Finder

You may need a license for:

  • some business activities
  • other activities, e.g. street parties

Use this tool to find out which licenses you may need.

Popular Licences

Licences and registration

To operate certain businesses you need a licence from your local authority. These include taxi firms, pet shops, boarding kennels, hotels, restaurants, hairdressers, mobile shops, food outlets, acupuncturists and tattooists. You'll also need a licence if you plan to sell alcohol.

If you want to open a childminding business or day-care nursery, you must register with the Office for Standards in Education.

Those hoping to operate public-service vehicles must apply to their local council. The Financial Conduct Authority must issue a licence before a business can lend money, arrange credit, collect debts, issue credit cards, offer debt adjusting or counselling services or operate a credit-reference agency.

You must apply for a licence to sell alcohol in a shop, pub, club, nightclub, restaurant, hotel or gaming establishment. Rules also apply to regulated entertainment.

Businesses involved in food and drink are also affected by environmental health and food hygiene regulations. Get more information on the Food Standards Agency website.