There is a highly favourable environment for businesses and those who invest in them.
There are schemes and incentives devised to help companies of all sizes secure funding.
If your business meets certain criteria, it may also qualify for help with business rates or tax relief for research and development.
- Business rate reliefs An overview on which properties are eligible for discounts on their business rates, and how to apply for these reliefs.
- Enterprise Zones There are currently 24 Enterprise Zones across the UK and they support new businesses through a range of incentives.
- The Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) This aims to encourage investment in small and early stage companies by reducing the risk to investors of investing in these types of companies.
- Employment Allowance Employers can reduce the amount of National Insurance contributions (NICs) they pay for their employees by up to £2,000.
- Annual Investment Allowance Currently stands at £500,000. How to claim, what is covered and how to calculate it.
- Capital Allowances A tax relief designed to allow the cost of certain company or organisational assets to be written off against its taxable profits.
- Enterprise Investment Scheme Helps small companies raise finance by offering tax relief to investors who buy new shares in their companies.
- Venture Capital Trust (VCT) Scheme Designed to help smaller companies raise finance by offering a range of tax reliefs to investors who invest in VCTs, who in turn onward invest or lend to small and medium sized businesses.
- Capital Gains Roll-over Relief You may be able to delay paying Capital Gains Tax if you either sell (‘dispose of') some business assets or use all or part of the proceeds to buy new assets. This relief means you won't pay any tax until you sell the new asset.
- Research and development tax credits Small businesses can get 225 per cent tax relief on their research and development spending.
- Patent Box Enables companies to apply a lower rate of Corporation Tax to profits earned after 1 April 2013 from its patented inventions and certain other innovations.
- Social Investment Tax Relief This provides a range of income and capital gains tax reliefs which can be claimed by individual investors for investments they have made in social enterprises, with a view to helping people and communities.
- Tax reliefs for the creative industries A group of five corporation tax reliefs that allow qualifying companies in the creative industries to claim a larger deduction, or in some circumstances claim a payable tax credit when calculating their taxable profits.
- Entrepreneur's Relief When an entrepreneur sells or closes their business, they need only pay ten per cent Capital Gains Tax on any qualifying profits.
- Business Premises Renovation Allowance - Expenses can be claimed in advance through a tax claim and then spent within three years to renovate or repair commercial property in an Assisted Area that has been empty for more than a year. Planning and architects' fees also eligible.