The Solent Careers Hubs are an extension of the support provided through the Enterprise Adviser Network (EAN). Through the collection of data to understand the gaps in careers-related provision, the Careers Hubs will provide opportunities for collaboration, upscaling of existing activity, development of resources and sharing of best practice. Working alongside established networks and forums to reduce duplication and ensure sustainability.
Any resources created by the Hubs will be accessible to all schools and college in the Solent area.
About the Solent Careers Hubs
To work collaboratively with secondary schools, colleges, sixth forms and key stakeholders to provide support and resources to deliver the eight Gatsby Benchmarks.
The Solent East Careers Hub is one of 20 pilots in England, established as part of the Government’s Careers Strategy which was released in December 2017. In this report they outlined the requirement for all schools and colleges to be working towards meeting all eight Gatsby Benchmarks by July 2020.
After a successful second bid to the Careers and Enterprise Company, the Solent West and Isle of Wight Careers Hub launches in September 2019.
In the Solent we want to improve the career outcomes for all young people, ensuring that they are best prepared for the world of work. Closely linking with employers across our key sectors and bringing them together with education provides an opportunity for more joined up working.
Our aims are to ensure:
1. An increased number of encounters between young people and employers
2. Labour Market Information is effectively utilised within the curriculum
3. Increased encounters with further and higher education, particularly for those young people from disadvantaged backgrounds
4. Every school develops a stable careers programme, is working towards achieving the eight Gatsby Benchmarks and raising aspirations of young people.
5. Signpost opportunities for employers and business to engage effectively with education
The Careers Hub Executive Forum provides the governance for the project. This group sits within the Solent LEP’s structure of boards and panels and will report into the Skills Advisory Panel when formed in late 2019.
- Solent East Careers Hub Lead School: University Technical College (UTC) Portsmouth
- Solent West and Isle of Wight Careers Hub Lead School: Wildern School, Hedge End
- The Careers and Enterprise Company’s Head Teacher Advisory Group Representative: Claudia Cubbage, Principal, The Henry Cort Community College
The Solent East Careers Hub encompasses schools and colleges from Fareham, Gosport, Portsmouth and Havant.
Solent East Careers Hub Schools and Colleges
The Solent West and IOW Careers Hub covers schools and colleges in Southampton, Eastleigh, the New Forest and the Isle of Wight.
Careers Hub Fund
Schools and colleges who are part of one of the Solent Careers Hubs are invited to apply for up to £1000 per institution.
- Completing Compass termly
- Sharing Compass reports with the Enterprise Coordinator team
- Signed and returned a school/college declaration form
- Joined the Enterprise Adviser Network
Download the Solent Careers Hub Fund Guidance and Application